What means this in english ?

Résolu/Fermé
alexbeker - 4 mai 2016 à 01:20
 alexbeker - 4 mai 2016 à 02:49
Hi,

Somebody can translate this to me in English please?

Dans le quartier du 16e arrondissement de Paris, Émilien, jeune homme âgé de 18 ans et fils d’un patron du CAC 40, passe son baccalauréat. En pleine fougue de la jeunesse, lors de travaux réalisés avec ses compagnons scouts, il se découvre un intérêt pour le bûcheronnage. Ses parents – encensant les « grandes écoles » françaises – cultivent le goût de l’héritage culturel et du niveau d’ambition de leur famille. La procédure APB approchant, ils menacent de lui couper les vivres s’il ne se soumet pas à leur injonction. Tiraillé entre ce nouvel attrait et sa famille fustigeant la précocité de l’apprentissage, Émilien ne sait s’il doit asseoir les oukases qu’on lui vocifère… l’aspiration du travail manuel n’étant pour lui aucunement antithétique au dessein d’un enfant de famille issue d’une catégorie socio-professionnelle favorisée. Embarqué dans le dédale parisien, le jeune homme ira au fil des rencontres qui le forgeront.

2 réponses

Sugel Messages postés 4070 Date d'inscription jeudi 18 août 2011 Statut Membre Dernière intervention 19 juin 2017 724
4 mai 2016 à 01:54
In the 16th district of Paris, Émilien, a 18 years old young man, son of the CEO of one of the 40 greatest French companies, is having his A-Level. With all the faith of his youth, while working with his scout group, he found out he likes woodcutting. His parents -- commending the French "great schools" -- want to support their cultural legacy and the ambition behind their family.
As the university admission procedures are getting closer, they threaten not supporting him anymore if he doesn't get into it. Émilien doesn't know if he has to obey these edicts. <untranslatable bullshit about the fact being from a high social class family doesn't imply you have to avoid manual labor>
Thrown into the Parisian maze, the young man will go along the meetings that will forge his identity.

Don't worry, the last sentence doesn't make sense in French either.
I'm not a native speaker, this translation may not make sense at all.

The original text is full of idioms having a particular meaning I'm not able to translate.
dom17 Messages postés 961 Date d'inscription mercredi 26 avril 2006 Statut Membre Dernière intervention 23 janvier 2020 243
4 mai 2016 à 02:22
+1
Thanks you very much.
dom17 Messages postés 961 Date d'inscription mercredi 26 avril 2006 Statut Membre Dernière intervention 23 janvier 2020 243
4 mai 2016 à 01:51
Hi

At this time of the night, I'm afraid I'm as lazy as you are.
Eventually I might have corrected your translation...

So, why not ask here